The popular schlager group Zeļļi from northern Latvia returns in April and May for a nine-concert tour of the United States that will run from mid-April to early May, culminating with the annual congress of the American Latvian Association in Chicago.
Concerts begin April 14 in New Jersey and continue in the Northeast and Midwest until the May 12 ALA congress.
The four-man group hails from Ozolmuiža near Valmiera. Zeļļi has released 12 albums. Zeļļi records on the GAILĪTIS-G label. The group includes leader Jānis Vējiņš, Ivars Birkāns, Raitis Treijs and Ilmārs Stivriņš.
Concerts are scheduled:
- April 14 in New Jersey at 2 p.m. at Priedaine, 1017 Highway 33 East, Freehold. The concert is organized by the New Jersey Latvian Society. For further information, telephone Jānis Students at +1 (732) 836-9750.
- April 17 in Massachusetts at 7 p.m. in the “Trimda” Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 58 Irving St., Brookline. For further information, telephone Jānis Bībelnieks, +1 (508) 655-6580.
- April 21 in New York at 7:30 p.m. in the New York Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 254 Valentine Lane, Yonkers. The concert is organized by the Council of New York Latvian Organizations. For further information, telephone Jānis Riekstiņš, +1 (516) 674-8802.
- April 25 in Michigan at 6 p.m. at the Latvian Association of Grand Rapids, 504 Grand Ave. N.E., Grand Rapids. For further information, telephone Līga Gonzalez at +1 (616) 791-2020.
- April 28 in Minnesota at 7 p.m. in the former Latvian House, 2337 Central Ave. N.E., Minneapolis. The concert is organized by the Latvian Organization Association of Minnesota. For further information, telephone +1 (651) 646-1980.
- April 30 in Wisconsin at 6 p.m. in the Latvian House, 8845 W. Lynx Ave., Milwaukee. The concert is organized by the Latvian Society. For further information, telephone Uldis Kākulis at +1 (414) 351-0649.
- May 3 in Michigan at 12:30 p.m. in the St. Paul Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 30623 West Twelve Mile Road, Farmington Hills. The event is organized by the Latvian Association in Detroit. For more information call Līga Jēkabsone at +1 (734) 426-8488.
- May 5 in Ohio at 7 p.m. in the United Latvian Ev. Lutheran Church of Cleveland, 1385 Andrews Ave., Lakewood. The concert is organized by the Latvian Society of Cleveland. For further information, telephone Silvija Rutenberga at +1 (440) 205-9367.
- May 12 in Illinois during the 56th annual congress of the American Latvian Association in the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel, Chicago Rosemont, 5440 North River Road, Chicago. The doors will open at 7 p.m. for cocktails. Dinner and the concert will begin at 8 p.m. Zeļļi will also provide entertainment at the dance afterwards. The concert is organized by the Association of Chicago Latvian Organizations. For more information, call Jānis Vilciņš at +1 (773) 728-3947.
The group often performs around Latvia. Among its accolades is winning the Mikrofons ‘94 award for most popular schlager song for “Vēl tu nāc.” The song “Man ir skumji mazliet,” performed by Gunārs Freidenfelds and Zeļļi, was nominated for a 2006 Latvian Music Award.
Zeļļi group members pose with composer Gunārs Freidenfelds (seated). Members of the schlager group, which will tour the United States in April and May, include (standing, left to right) Ivars Birkens, Raitis Treijs, Jānis Vējiņš and Ilmārs Stivriņš. (Photo by Jānis Deinats)
© 1995-2023 Latvians Online
Please contact us for editorial queries, or for permission to republish material. Disclaimer: The content of Web sites to which Latvians Online provides links does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Latvians Online, its staff or its sponsors.