Latvian composer Jānis Cimze, considered to be the father of Latvian choir music and culture, known for his arrangements of Latvian folk songs such as “Rīga dimd”, “Krauklīt’s sēž ozolā”, and “Teici, teici valodiņa”, staples of Latvian Song Festivals for more than 100 years, celebrates his 200th birthday in 2014.
To commemorate this significant anniversary, the Valka City Council (Cimze worked in Valka from 1849 to his death in 1881) commissioned the mixed choir Sõla, of the Latvian Academy of Culture, to record a CD of his folk song arrangements, simply entitled Jānim Cimzem – 200.
Sõla, conducted by Kaspars Ādamsons, recorded 17 of Cimze’s folk song arrangements, as well as three new works dedicated to Jānis Cimze by Latvian composers Selga Mence, Mārtiņš Brauns, and Raimonds Pauls (the lyrics for all three works are by renowned Latvian poet Jānis Peters). The CD includes both arrangements for mixed choir, as well as for men’s choir.
The CD booklet includes biographical information about Cimze in both Latvian and English.
Jānis CImze 200
- Krauklīt’s sēž ozolā (mixed choir)
- Pūt, vējiņi, dzen laiviņu! (mixed choir)
- Rīga dimd (men’s choir)
- Visi gani mājās dzina (mixed choir)
- Teici, teici valodiņa (mixed choir)
- Zirgi zviedza, velli brauca (mixed choir)
- Saulīt vēlu vakarā (men’s choir)
- Tumša, tumša tā eglīte (mixed choir)
- Jānīti, mans dēls (men’s choir)
- Kur tu iesi, jauns puisīti? (mixed choir)
- Tek saulīte tecēdama (mixed choir)
- Nu ardievu, Vidzemīte (men’s choir)
- Bāleliņa līgaviņa (mixed choir)
Midsummer songs from the Vidzeme region arranged by Jānis Cimze (mixed choir)
- Nītaurieši (arī Krustpilī)
- Jāņa mate sieru sēja
New works dedicated to Cimze, lyrics by Jānis Peters
- Pusnaktī kad kalējs kaļ – Selga Mence
- Krauklis – Mārtiņš Brauns
- Stiprā pils – Raimonds Pauls
© 1995-2023 Latvians Online
Please contact us for editorial queries, or for permission to republish material. Disclaimer: The content of Web sites to which Latvians Online provides links does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Latvians Online, its staff or its sponsors.