The Liepāja Theater, in an eight-city tour of Latvian communities, is bringing popular Croatian playwright Miro Gavran’s comedy about men to eastern North America, the New York-based cultural organization TILTS has announced.
The play, Viss par vīriešiem (All About Men), features three actors in five different stories, observing men in various stages of life. Under Lithuanian director Rolands Atkočūns, the play saw its Latvian premiere in December 2007. Acting in the roles of the three men will be Egons Dombrovskis, Kaspars Gods and Leons Leščinskis.
The stories begin with a trio of 40-somethings who have to deal with conflict when it is revealed one of them has had affair with another’s wife. The second story is about a father and two sons, one of whom blames his father for his mother’s death. The remaining three stories are about three gay men, three strippers in a nightclub, and the same friends from the first story seen as men in their 80s.
Gavran also wrote All About Women, which the Liepāja Theater also has performed under the direction of Atkočūns.
Performances of Viss par vīriešiem are scheduled:
- Sept. 18 in Massachusetts at 7:30 p.m. in the Trimda Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 58 Irving St., Brookline. The performance is organized by Mākslas Draugi Bostonā. For further information, contact Maija Priede at +1 (781) 329-7491.
- Sept. 19 in New York at 5 p.m. in the Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church of New York, 4 Riga Lane, Melville. The performance is organized by the Council of Latvian Organizations in New York. For further information, contact Baiba Pinnis at +1 (914) 631-5725.
- Sept. 20 in New Jersey at 2 p.m. at the Latvian Center Priedaine, 1017 Highway 33 East, Freehold. The performance is organized by the Latvian Society of New Jersey. For further information, contact Jānis Students at +1 (732) 836-9750.
- Sept. 22 in Pennsylvania at 2 p.m. in the Philadelphia Society of Free Letts
(Filadelfijas brīvo latvju biedrībā), 531 N. 7th St., Philadelphia. For further information, contact Uģis Nīgals at +1 (610) 346-8524.
- Sept. 25 in Ohio at 7 p.m. in the United Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 1385 Andrews Ave., Lakewood. The performance is organized by the Latvian Society of Cleveland. For further information, contact Silvija Rutenberga at +1 (440) 205-9367.
- Sept. 27 in Illinois at 3 p.m. in the Latvian House, 4146 N. Elston Ave. Chicago. The event is organized by the Chicago Latvian Association. For further information, contact Armands Birkēns at +1 (773) 282-6510.
- Oct. 1 in Ontario at 7 p.m. in the Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre, 4 Credit Union Drive, Toronto. For further information, contact Arnis Markitants at +1 (416) 225-0911.
- Oct. 3 in Maryland at 7:30 p.m. in the Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church of Washington, D.C., 400 Hurley Ave., Rockville. The performance is organized by Latvian organizations in the Washington area. For further information, contact Anita Juberte at +1 (301) 869-3127.
The Liepāja Theater also will bring the Lauris Gundars play Tiritomba to western North America in October, TILTS has announced, but details have not yet been revealed.
© 1995-2023 Latvians Online
Please contact us for editorial queries, or for permission to republish material. Disclaimer: The content of Web sites to which Latvians Online provides links does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Latvians Online, its staff or its sponsors.