The fourth entry in the Sviests folk music collection has been released by the Rīga-based Lauska label.
The Sviests 4 compact disc continues on the tradition of the previous releases—Sviests (2005), Sviests 2 (2007) and Sviests 3 (2009)—by gathering a wide variety of Latvian folk song interpretations, most of which are new recordings not available elsewhere.
The album includes tracks from established folk veterans such as Iļġi, Laiksne and Austris Grasis to newer ensembles such as Vīteri, DER and Rudzi. Besides songs in Latvian, there are songs in Latgallian (such as “Kuopu, kuopu kolnā” by Krampis) and the Liv language (“Opsasā” performed by Tai tai). Many different musical styles are represented, such as the ambient instrumental interpretation of “Šķērsu dienu saule tek” by Vētras saites, the Renaissance styling of “Kūmāmi iedama” by Trakula, and the drum-centric “Ūsiņš” by Pērkonvīri un Laima (featuring Mikus Čavarts of the drum and bagpipe ensemble Auļi).
The collection contains 22 songs, and the CD booklet has details about each ensemble in Latvian and English.
- “Skaista mana tēva sēta” by Folkvakars
- “Trīs rītiņi saule lēca” by Iļġi
- “As beju muotei vīneiguo meita” by Vīteri
- “Opsasā” by Tai tai
- “Suņi rēja” by Lāns
- “Kuopu, juopu kolnā” by Krampis
- “Kas redzēja auseklīti” by Tērvetes trubadūri
- “Uz kariņu es aizgāj” by DER
- ”Šķērsu dienu saule tek” by Vētras saites
- “Upura dziesma” by Ēnu kaleidoskops
- “Tumsā gāju vakarā” by Vilkači
- ”Ūsiņš” by Pērkonvīri un Laime
- “Kūmāmi iedama” by Trakula
- “Kurt u skrīsi” by Rudzi
- “Dejas sajūta” by Teiksma
- “Vysu dīnu jumi jiemu” by Liene Brence and Alga Sprindža
- “Malējbalsis” by Miglas asni
- “Labāk kuļu rudza riju” by Laiksne
- “Doncuot guoju ar meitom(i)” by Austris Grasis un draugi
- “Skaista muižeņa” by Ilža
- “Pa taciņu gar upmalu” by Hāgenskalna muzkanti
- “Vecpuiša pankūkas” by Rīgas danču kluba muzikanti
A new Sviests collection is released every two years.
The recording label Lauska has released the compact disc Sviests 4, its latest sampler of Latvian folk music.
© 1995-2023 Latvians Online
Please contact us for editorial queries, or for permission to republish material. Disclaimer: The content of Web sites to which Latvians Online provides links does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Latvians Online, its staff or its sponsors.