The youth chamber choir Balsis, one of Latvia’s leading choirs, begins a U.S. tour Nov. 14 that will see it perform concerts in a series of East Coast and Midwest locations.
Founded in 1987 and made up of students from several colleges and universities in Rīga, the choir has so far won recognition in nine international choir competitions. The choir’s repertoire ranges from early choral masterpieces to works by modern composers, according to the group’s promotional literature.
Conductors are Agita Ikauniece and Ints Teterovksis.
Besides its critically acclaimed live appearances, the choir also has recorded six albums, including two compact discs.
The choir’s tour begins Nov. 14 with a noon concert at the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston. Organizers and sponsors of the tour include the New York Latvian Concert Choir.
Other concerts are scheduled:
- Nov. 15 at 8 p.m. in Hancock Congregational Church, Lexington, Mass.
- Nov. 16 at 2 p.m. in the New York Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 254 Valentine Lane, Yonkers, N.Y.
- Nov. 17 during the 10 a.m. church service in the Latvian community center and church, 400 Hurley Ave., Rockville, Md. That appearance is followed by a 12:15 p.m. concert, also in the Rockville center, and a 3:30 p.m. concert in Washington National Cathedralat Massachusetts and Wisconsin avenues in Washington D.C.
- Nov. 18 at 12:30 p.m. during an Latvian Independence Day diplomatic reception at the University Club, 1135 16th St. N.W., Washington, D.C.
- Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. in the Latvian community center, 1385 Andrews Ave., Lakewood, Ohio.
- Nov. 20 at 12:10 p.m. in Trinity Cathedral, 2021 East 22nd St., Cleveland, Ohio. Later that same day, a concert is set at 7 p.m. in St.Paul’s Lutheran Church, 322 Stewart Ave., Columbus, Ohio.
- Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. in St. Luke Lutheran Church, 4205 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. in Messiah Lutheran Church, 2727 Five Mile Road, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Nov. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Zion Latvian Ev.-Lutheran Church, 6555 W. Montrose Ave., Chicago.
- Nov. 24 at 2:30 p.m. in the high school gymnasium in Jackson, Wisc., and at 7 p.m. in St.John’s Lutheran Church, 20851 W. Main St., Lannon, Wis.
- Nov. 25 at 7:30 p.m. in the Lutheran Prepatory School, 1300 Western Ave., Watertown, Wis.
- Nov. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Zion Ev.-Lutheran Church, 3340 Nebraska Ave., Toledo, Ohio.
After its U.S. tour, Balsis returns to Latvia to ready for a Dec. 25 Christmas Concert in Rīga. For further information about the choir, visit the choir’s Web site.
© 1995-2023 Latvians Online
Please contact us for editorial queries, or for permission to republish material. Disclaimer: The content of Web sites to which Latvians Online provides links does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Latvians Online, its staff or its sponsors.