Hospital reports first H1N1-related death, number of cases tops 100

Latvia has reported the first death from the H1N1 flu virus, while the number of confirmed cases in the country has topped 100, according to health officials.

A 56-year-old woman died Nov. 9 in the Pauls Stradiņš Clinical University Hospital from complications associated with the flu, according to a hospital press release.

The woman, who became ill after visiting Kaliningrad in late October, was admitted Nov. 3 to the hospital in Rīga. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and initially treated in the hospital’s pulmonology section, but then transferred to the intensive care unit.

Pēters Ošs, head of the hospital’s intensive care unit, said in a prepared statement that the H1N1 flu can have more serious consequences in patients with other medical conditions. The woman who died had previously been diagnosed with lung and kidney problems.

“People without other diseases rarely die of the flu,” he said.

Meanwhile, the state Infectology Center of Latvia reported Nov. 9 that the number of confirmed H1N1 cases has risen to 110. A week earlier only about 40 cases had been confirmed, according to the Ministry of Health.

The first confirmed case of H1N1 in Latvia was reported June 23.

Andris Straumanis is a special correspondent for and a co-founder of Latvians Online. From 2000–2012 he was editor of the website.

Swedish newspaper supports Vīķe-Freiberga for EU president

A leading Swedish newspaper has thrown its support behind former Latvian President Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga to become the next president of the European Council, which is the European Union’s main decision-making body.

“Europe needs a strong, respected and unifying figure as a new, permanent president,” the newspaper Dagens Nyheter said in an editorial published Nov. 5. “Her name Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga.”

Vīķe-Freiberga, who served two terms as Latvia’s sixth president, is one of several candidates—including former British Prime Minister Tony Blair—mentioned for the post.

With the Czech Republic’s ratification on Nov. 4 of the 2007 Treaty of Lisbon, changes to the structure and operation of the European Union are expected to take effect Dec. 1. Among them is the selection of a president of the European Council to serve a 2.5-year term. Currently the presidency rotates among EU member states every six months. Sweden holds the presidency now, while Latvia would have been scheduled to take over in the first half of 2015.

Among reasons the newspaper supports Vīķe-Freiberga is that it believes the time has come for the European Union to elect a woman as president, as well as to select someone from the EU’s newest members. Latvia joined the EU in 2004.

In its editorial, Dagens Nyheter argued that Vīķe-Freiberga would be a good representative for Europe because of her speaking skills, her fluency in five languages and because she “has a strong commitment to Europe.”

Vīķe-Freiberga was born in Latvia in 1937. Her family fled during World War II to Germany and then relocated to Morocco. After settling in Canada, Vīķe-Freiberga completed her education and became a professor of psychology. She returned to Latvia in 1998 to head the Latvian Institute and was elected president in 1999.

The newspaper acknowledged that her candidacy could be troublesome for some critics because of Vīķe-Freiberga’s strong ties to the United States, because Russia might object and because some people believe someone who has grown up in Canada should not be president of the European Council. Dagens Nyheter dismissed the arguments.

Meanwhile, support for Vīķe-Freiberga’s candidacy is growing online. One Web site, A Woman to Head Europe, has gathered nearly 2,800 signatures supporting the former Latvian president.

“An exceptional character, Ms. Freiberga is a woman of peace, a committed, determined European,” according to the Web site.

The Web site was registered Oct. 28 by David Juni of Saint Mande, France.

Andris Straumanis is a special correspondent for and a co-founder of Latvians Online. From 2000–2012 he was editor of the website.

Three from Latvia charged in Montana with fraud, extortion

Three men from Latvia could each face a prison term of 20 years and a USD 250,000 fine if convicted in a case involving allegations of computer fraud and extortion in Montana. Their trial is scheduled to begin Dec. 29 in U.S. District Court in Great Falls.

Aleksandrs Hoholko, 29, Jevgenijs Kuzmenko, 25, and Vitalijs Drozdovs, 33, were extradited from the Netherlands and arrived in the United States on Oct. 22 to face the charges against them, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Montana.

All three have pleaded not guilty to charges of extortion affecting commerce; fraud in connection with computers; obtaining financial records through unauthorized access to computers; and threatening communications and receipt of extortion proceeds, according to court records.

The three men were arraigned Oct. 26. They are accused helping a man named Robert Borko in an attempt to extort money from the Great Falls-based financial services business Davidson Companies, according to the Associated Press. Borko allegedly broke into the company’s computer system and accessed records of more than 300,000 clients. He e-mailed the company demanding money in exchange for deleting the records.

The company on Jan. 30, 2008, informed its clients that a database containing personal information had been “unlawfully accessed by a third party through a sophisticated network intrusion.” The company offered its clients a free one-year subscription to a credit reporting service so that they could monitor their accounts.

The three men from Latvia were indicted by a federal grand jury in March 2008. Court records were unsealed only after the men were arrested.

Andris Straumanis is a special correspondent for and a co-founder of Latvians Online. From 2000–2012 he was editor of the website.