- Daugavas Vanagu Nams Londonā un Straumēni
- Those of Latvian descent may well have heard of this bed and breakfast in central London that has been around for years. The Daugavas Vanagu Fonda Nams offers accommodation (boasting more than 120,000 visitors over the years) and has been the center of Latvian cultural activities for the past 50 years. This architectually impressive building is still the venue for Latvian folkdancing, the London Latvian school, a Latvian library and Latvian choir rehearsals. On the Web site, visitors may learn where the center is located, view photos of the place and some of the events that have taken place there, and find out about the cost of accommodation. The site also has information about the rest home Straumēni in Catthorpe, Leicestershire. EN LV (Reviewed July 2003)
- Latvia Tourism
- So you're visiting Rīga and you've already admired the view from Pēterbaznīca (St. Peter's Church) over the Daugava River. What next? Consult this Web site and you'll never be short of ideas anymore! The site is run by the Rīga Tourism Coordination and Information Centre, an agency of the city government. We won't list all the standard stuff that is part of every tourist site. We were very impressed, however, with the professional layout and the detailed information that's available here. The list of prices for goods is informative (always wanted to know the price of a Snickers bar in Latvia?) and enlightening segments on seemingly minor things -- such as the cost of sending letters and postcards, how to use public telephones and where to turn for first aid in Rīga -- all set this site apart from the others. EN LV RU (Reviewed July 2005)
- Rota Lodge
- What do you do if you live in Latvia and are itching for a trip abroad or even a getaway in the countryside? You could check out some travel agents or you could consult a Web site. This one, www.icelo.lv, is a portal specifically aimed at the Latvian tourist and presents a variety of different travel options. At first glance it looks like just another advertising opportunity for travel agents (and so it is) but there also is a wealth of information about different places worth visiting. Travel tales include faraway places such as Siberia, Ljubjana in Slovenia and Bombay, India, but local spots to holiday are also touted as desirable destinations. The discussion forum seems to be quite popular with the locals -- be it looking for travel buddies, asking for others' experiences with certain tour companies, or buying and selling sporting equipment. LV (Reviewed April 2005)
04 Dec 2013
3. decembrī, Mineapolē (ASV) 88 gadu vecumā savās mājās mūžībā aizgājusi mecenāte, Triju Zvaigžņu ordeņa kavaliere, ilggadēja Latvijas jaunatnes izglītības veicinātāja un akcijas „Latvijas Lepnums“ 2009. gada laureāte Dr. Aina Galēja - Dravniece.
02 Dec 2013
Perhaps one of the most memorable moments of the closing concert of the 2013 Latvian Song Festival was the song “Dvēseles dziesma”.
28 Nov 2013
Šā gada 4. decembrī no plkst. 10.00 līdz 16.00 Latvijas Zinātņu akadēmijas Portretu zālē notiks starptautiskā konference „Poļu, ukraiņu un latviešu diasporas kopienu sadarbība pagātnē un šodien“ (Cooperation between the Polish, Ukrainian and Latvian diaspora communities in the past and nowadays).
In the forums
Where Eagles Should Still Dare posted by Mikus E_ on 09 Dec 2013
December 8th NYC - Annual Advent Concert in Yonkers posted by vecrumba on 04 Dec 2013
Another short pump “wait” for gasoline… posted by Mikus E_ on 01 Dec 2013
1,000 fake accounts for only $58 posted by Mikus E_ on 25 Nov 2013
Roof collapse at Maxima posted by peter B on 22 Nov 2013